When I first flipped through and saw this recipe, I thought, never in a million years! Who puts jam on grits? My boyfriend said he tried it and loved it but I wasn’t so easily convinced. Grits are meant to be eaten with butter and your choice of tuna, eggs, sausage or mackerel. That’s the grits I grew up with; that’s the grits I know and love. I know I sound prejudice towards grits variations but that was just never an option for me. So this morning I decided to be brave and give it a go. And I must say, this recipe has opened my eyes to a whole new way of eating grits. And I want to share that with you, my readers!
MAPLE BERRY GRITS
“Grits don’t get enough love at breakfast. They are creamy, slightly sweet, and full of fibre. You’ve had enough oatmeal; it’s about time to try something new”.
Makes enough for 4, or a solid solo breakfast for 4 days. Cut the recipe in half if you’re eating solo.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups almond milk or other non-dairy milk (I used almond)
- 1 cup quick cook grits
- 1 to 2 teaspoons maple syrup or your favourite liquid sweetener (I used raspberry agave)
- Your favourite jam (I used Smuckers Strawberry jelly)
- Fresh berries
- Grab a medium saucepan and bring the water and milk to a boil over medium heat. Gently whisk in the grits. Bring it all to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and then let the deliciousness simmer for 20 minutes. Stir on occasion while your sip your coffee and troll the Internet, ‘cause you don’t want anything sticking to the bottom.
- When the grits have absorbed most of the liquid and are tender, turn that flame off and add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup of your liquid sweetener. Taste and add the rest of the syrup if you think it needs it. That’s on you. Serve with a small scoop of your favourite jam on top and some fresh berries so it looks all classy.
How do you like to eat your grits? Are you one of those people that knew about this all along or is this new to you, like it is for me? Sound off in the comment section below and don’t forget to subscribe for more awesomeness in your inbox!