Made these tonight and even my pickiest eater CLEANED his plate!! These are good, basic, but good. Add to it what you want, but we are doing this one straight up, simple and cheap!
2 cups split red lentil
5 cups water
2 tbsp vegan butter
1/2 green pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/4 large onion, choppped (1/2 cup)
1 tomato, chopped (1 cup)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil the water, add lentils and turn down to a simmer for about 15 minutes (keep on eye on them, if you are using red split lentils they can go mushy fast)
2. While the lentils are cooking, heat a pan and the butter. Saute the onions, and peppers for about 10 minutes until the onions caramelize a bit. Add the tomato and cook it down a bit.
3. Drain the lentils the best you can, if they become mushy like mine did, they will not be easy to strain.
4. Add the ketchup and BBQ sauce to the onion and pepper mixture. Make sure it warms up a bit then mix in the lentils.
5. Serve on whatever roll you like.